Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Web Content Display Web Content Display



The Center for Polish Language and Culture in the World has a limited number of spaces for students in four student dormitories: “Bydgoska” at ul. Bydgoska 19, “Nawojka” at ul. Reymonta 11, “Piast” at ul. Piastowska 47, and “Żaczek” at al. 3 Maja 5*. If you are interested in staying in one of them, please tick the appropriate box in the application form. The moving-in period usually begins 3 days before the beginning of the program. Due to the limited number of spaces in the student dormitories, we are unable to guarantee that all interested people will receive a dormitory room. We will do our best to meet your needs, and will inform you via e-mail if a reservation has been made for you.

* The allocation of places in student dormitories in the 2020/21 academic year is subject to change. Information concerning all changes will be posted on our website:

Students receive accommodation on the basis of personal referrals from the coordinator of programs for foreigners through USOSweb. People who have received confirmation of being granted a space in a dormitory should report to the office of the dormitory from Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm.

Important: When moving into a student dormitory, it’s necessary to have proof of identity (a passport or ID card), a photo of yourself that will be used for a resident card and some Polish money to pay a deposit as well as the fee for one month of accommodation in advance. Both the deposit and the monthly accommodation cost in the 2019/20 academic year were 420 PLN. In the 2020/21 academic year, there may be a slight increase in this price.

Important: We kindly ask those who are planning to arrive in Krakow on the weekend or during the evening to inform us of this by e-mail ( This will allow us to reserve accommodation for you in the hotel section of the dormitory. We would like to emphasise the importance of taking care of formalities connected with accommodation in the rooms reserved for participants of the Polish language program as early as possible.

The deposit will be returned when a student moves out, if there has been no damage to the room. The rooms are equipped with basic equipment: beds, tables, bookshelves, wardrobes, lamps, a telephone, TV and internet connection. Internet service is included in the price of the dormitory fee. In the student dormitories there are kitchens, but they are not equipped with dishes, pots or appliances. When moving in, every student can take bedding from the storeroom (a pillowcase and bedsheet) as well as curtains. The bedding and curtains can be changed every 3 weeks. The rooms contain blankets and duvets, pillows, lamps and telephones; the dormitory does not supply towels. There are no refrigerators in the rooms.
If you would like to resign from the place you have been granted, please notify the Center as soon as possible.
On the grounds of the student dormitories there are also student hotels where students’ parents and friends can stay for a reasonable price, as long as there are rooms available.

“Bydgoska” Student Dormitory
ul. Bydgoska 19, 30-056 Kraków

“Bydgoska” student dormitory is situated in a quiet neighbourhood, next to a city park. Students are accommodated in two-person rooms with separate bathrooms. On the grounds of the dormitory there’s, a reading room, a TV room, a laundromat and a fitness room. “Eden” Restaurant is nearby, which serves tasty, affordable meals.

“Nawojka” Student Dormitory
ul. Reymonta 11, 30-059 Kraków

“Nawojka” student dormitory is situated next to Jordan Park, next to the Chemistry Department of the Jagiellonian University, Auditorium Maximum, and the Main Square. Students are accommodated in 2-, 3- and 4-person rooms with separate bathrooms. Students have access to wireless Internet in their rooms. There is a laundromat, reading room, student cafeteria, eating place, haidresser’s, and a grocery shop in the building. On the grounds of the dormitory there is also “Nawojka” student club.

“Piast” Student Dormitory
ul. Piastowska 47, 30-067 Kraków

Students are housed in two-person rooms in units (2 rooms and a bathroom). Students can use a washing machine, borrow a vacuum cleaner, iron, ironing board or sports equipment, and use the reading room. Students have access to wireless Internet in the cafe and in the reception area on the ground floor. On the grounds of the dormitory there’s a post office, student cafe, cafeteria Bistro Piast (offering dinner), photocopying service, newsstand, hairdresser’s, tanning salon, consignment shop and dry cleaner’s. It’s possible to rent a bicycle at the dormitory.

“Żaczek” Student Dormitory
al. 3 Maja 5, 30-063 Kraków

The “Żaczek” Student Dormitory (al. 3 Maja 5) is located in the very center of Krakow, just a 10-minute walk from the Main Square and Wawel Castle. It offers students 2- and 3-person rooms with washrooms. Students can use the student laundromat, vacuum cleaner, reading room, TV room and party room. Students can also use the student cafeteria, which is open from 11:30 am to 4:30 pm. On the grounds of the dormitory there is also “Żaczek” student club, a xerox shop and a small grocery shop.

The Center does nor provide help in organising private accommodation; information about firms and people who rent apartments can be found on the Internet (Facebook and student Internet forums). Help and advice can be provided by such accommodation offices as: Biuro Pośrednictwa Mieszkań i Pracy przy Fundacji “Bratniak” (Accommodation and Employment Agency at the “Bratniak” Foundation):; Bratnia Pomoc Akademicka (Fraternal Academic Assistance)
at ul. św. Anny: or Studenckie Biuro Kwater (Student Accommodation Office):


We would like to kindly inform all interested parties that the Jagiellonian University does not enter any partnerships with recrutation agencies or other organisations that go between a University and candidates in the admission processes.

Our goal is to ensure that the admission processes run error-free, in accordance to the qualification criteria as stated in university legal regulations, and without violating communication policies that are in place at the JU and that apply to the communication between the University and candidates.

Foreign candidates who wish to pursue Polish language program can apply directly to the Center for Polish Language and Culture in the World –
and are encouraged to do so, as our website: (Polish and English versions).


Each foreigner studying at the JU has to have a health insurance valid for the period of his/her program. If upon enrolment you do not yet possess the insurance, then together with the complete set of documents you should enclose a declaration in which you oblige yourself to submit the insurance certificate to the Center for Polish Language and Culture in the World before the program starts.

Types of health insurance:

  • insurance policy obtained in the country of origin or bought in a Polish insurance agency (it should be valid for the full program);
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued in the country of origin;
  • insurance at the National Health Fund (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia – NFZ), available after signing an agreement with the NFZ individually.

Citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein who hold a European Health Insurance Card or insured at the NFZ by the university are covered by the free of charge medical care in institutions which have signed contracts for the medical services supply with the NFZ. EHIC is issued in the country of origin. More information can be found on the Małopolska NFZ website and on the European Committee websites.

Citizens from outside the EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein who are insured at the NFZ on the basis of their application are covered by the medical care in institutions which have signed contracts for the medical services supply with the NFZ if they pay their monthly medical contribution.

List of institutions which have signed a contract with the NFZ may be found at the regional NFZ division website –

In case of falling ill, students may go to the SCANMED health centre at al. Armii Krajowej 5, tel.: +48 12 629 88 00, where they may consult general practitioners and specialists. In case of an emergency, you should contact a district hospital emergency ward (Szpitalny Oddział Ratunkowy – SOR) or cal 999 from a stationary phone or 112 from a mobile one.

You might want to consider buying accident insurance (ubezpieczenie NNW). You can get one at the JU Student Governance, Collegium Novum,
ul. Gołębia 24, room 033, from Monday to Friday, from 9:30 am to 3:00 pm.
Basic service for one academic year costs about 30 PLN.*

* The prices are from  2020 – they may be subject to change.


Upon arrival in Krakow, all course participants must register their address of residence for the duration of their stay in Poland. People staying in student
dormitories receive residence registration forms from the dormitory’s administration office, and people staying in private accommodation should obtain a form directly from the Census Department.
Forms must be submitted to:

Wydział Spraw Administracyjnych
Referat Ewidencji Ludności
al. Powstania Warszawskiego 10, 31-549 Kraków
phone +48 12 616 93 33


Citizens of non-EU/EEA member states can enter Poland only with a valid travel document (passport) and a visa obtained from the Polish Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. A short-term visa entitles a foreign student to stay in Poland for up to three months; a long-term visa entitles a foreign student to stay in Poland for a maximum of 12 months. The Voivodeship can extend a Schengen visa or a Polish visa; the visa is then added as a sticker to the foreigner’s travel document.

Information concerning the extension of visas can be obtained from:

Małopolski Urząd Wojewódzki w Krakowie
Wydział Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców
ul. Przy Rondzie 6
phone +48 12 392 18 54


Both citizens of member states of the European Union and foreigners arriving in Poland from outside the EU have to legalise their stay in Poland if exceeding 3 month. Full information about the legalisation may be found on the website of the Małopolska Voivodeship Office (Małopolski Urząd Wojewódzki w Krakowie:
and The Office for Foreigners (Urząd do Spraw Cudzoziemców:


In accordance with Polish regulations, people possessing 2 passports (including one that is Polish) must enter and leave Poland using the Polish passport.