COURSE DATE: July 25th-August 14th, 2022
Date of arrival: July 24th, 2022 (Sunday), after 16:00.
Inauguration: July 25th, 2022 (Monday), 10:00, Auditorium, Romana Ingardena 3 Str., 30-060 Kraków.
Closing date: August 12th, 2022 (Friday), 20:00, farewell party in SD PIAST.
Date of departure: August 14th, 2022 (Sunday), till 12:00.
The given start date (Monday, July 25th, 2022) means the day of course inauguration (opening ceremony, inaugural lecture, Polish language placement test). Participants choosing the full program should arrive in Kraków on the day before the inauguration (Monday, July 25th, 2022) . The final date (Sunday, August 14th) is the day of departure – on this day there are no more classes and final exams, and participants accommodated in SD PIAST check out after breakfast.
Price of the program with accommodation and board: 6,546 PLN
Price of the academic program (without accommodation and board): 2,960 PLN
Location of Polish language classes and lectures: Romana Ingardena 3 Street, 30-060 Kraków and Grodzka 64 Street, 33-332 Kraków.
Accommodation: Student Dormitory PIAST, Piastowska 47 Street, 30-067 Kraków (phone: +48 12 62 23 100; e-mail: email@example.com).
Board: BISTRO Piast, Piastowska 47 Street, 30-067 Kraków (https://bistropiast.pl).
In order to ensure maximum safety for our participants, with regard to testing for COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 and vaccinations accepted within the European Union, regulations will be in effect regarding who may enter the Republic of Poland: https://www.gov.pl/web/koronawirus/granice-i-ruch-miedzynarodowy
Current guidelines of the Chief Sanitary Inspector, the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Science and Higher Education, and the Jagiellonian University regarding the prevention of the COVID-19/SARS-CoV-2 epidemic will be followed during the program (keeping a distance, covering mouth and nose in indicated situations, disinfecting hands and rooms).
- The program covers 60 hours of language classes, and 15-hour courses on Polish grammar, literature and society.
- The full program (with accommodation and board) includes: language and thematic courses, a textbook, complementary programs, tourist attractions, and 500 PLN of non-refundable advance prepayment.
- The academic program (without accommodation and board) includes: language and thematic courses, a textbook, and 500 PLN of non-refundable advance prepayment.
- We teach at all levels of language proficiency.
- The classes will be held by teachers from the Jagiellonian University certified to teach Polish as a foreign language who have abundant experience in teaching foreigners.
- The textbook included in the price.
- Lectures in Polish and in English. The lectures will be delivered by professors from the Jagiellonian University who have many years of experience in teaching foreign students in Poland and at the universities all over the world.
- When the course ends, the participants can take final exams, get diplomas from the Jagiellonian University and transcripts with credits/ECTS points.
- School reserves the right not to open classes on a given language level in case of insufficient number of applications, as well as to make changes in the list of courses.
The conversion of credit points applicable in the countries of the European Union:
- 60 hours of the language program closing with an exam – 4 credits/ECTS points.
- 30-hour non-language course – 2 credits/ECTS points.
- 15-hour non-language course – 1 credit/ECTS points.
The final grade for all language courses is a result of the following scores:
- Attendance and class work (20%),
- Midterm test (30%),
- Final exam (50%).
Students who miss more than 10% of the Polish language classes (without excuse) may not take the Polish language exam.
The curriculum of Polish language teaching is adapted to the principles of language proficiency description formulated in the Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).
Students complete a Polish language placement test which allows to determine their level of language proficiency and qualify them for the appropriate group.
All classes are conducted in Polish! The maximum number of participants in a language class is 12 persons.
The Polish language programs, the teaching methods and most of the teaching aids used during the summer courses have been developed by the staff of the Jagiellonian University Institute of Polish Language and Culture for Foreigners. The Institute is a leading research institution on teaching of Polish as a second and foreign language.
As a result of methodological studies and extensive practical experience of our teachers we have worked out our own method of teaching Polish, which is of an eclectic character. For many years we have been strong advocates of the communicative approach in foreign language teaching, never hesitating to teach functional grammar – even explicitly and cognitivelty – if our students needed it.
Effective communication in Polish is impossible without a firm grammatical foundation. We have emphasized the need of parallel work on developing all language skills, including writing. Among the applied methods special mention should be made of our task- and project-oriented approach, focused on social interaction and teamwork.
CERTIFICATES AND CREDIT POINTS:
Within four-, six- and three-week programs you can choose from various courses so that the total number of hours taken by you meets your expectations (make sure the courses do not overlap and are taught during your stay in Kraków). In order to obtain credits you should fulfill all the course requirements, i.e. appropriate attendance, midterm test, and final exam in Polish language; final test or a paper on the topic accepted by the academic adviser (in other courses).
Students who pass the final language exams and meet attendance requirements receive a Jagiellonian University Polish Language Certificate (Świadectwo Językowe Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego). On request we also send Transcript of Studies which states the number of instruction hours, the level of the language course and/or the titles of other courses taken, and a grade or grades. The transfer of credits obtained at the Jagiellonian University should be arranged with the home college or university. The participants wishing to do so ought to contact their Registrar’s offices before going to Kraków.
All participants who attend classes also receive commemorative Certificates of Attendance.
- Class times are given in Polish time.
- According to the Polish system of education, one academic hour equals forty-five minutes.
- All language exams as well as all in-class tests are included in the total number of academic hours.
- The inaugural lecture counts towards the total number of hours of each afternoon course.
- Polish language classes will be held in the morning (9:00-12:15), whereas other courses are held in the afternoon, (14:30-16:15 and 16:15-17:45).
- All courses chosen by the participant should be marked on the application form!
- Make sure that the courses you choose do not overlap and that they are taught during your participation in the program (please check dates carefully)! For descriptions see: LECTURES.
- The program price is independent of the number of courses chosen and their intensity.
- In case of early departure, the course fee will not be refunded.
- The Jagiellonian University School of Polish Language and Culture is not in a position to award scholarships.
COMPLEMENTARY PROGRAMS (no credits/ECTS points):
- Film presentations (with English subtitles)
- Sightseeing tours of: the Jagiellonian University Museum in Collegium Maius, Kraków’s Old Town with the Kazimierz district, and the Oskar Schindler’s Enamel Factory.
- Trips to: the ancient Salt Mine in Wieliczka, and the Tatra Mountains, including a visit to the resort city of Zakopane.
Detailed information about the tourist program (for participants choosing the full program) will be provided by the Assistant during the program.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE PROGRAM ARE ACCEPTED UNTIL:
June 30th, 2022 or until spots are filled.
For further information, please see: ENROLLMENT/FEES/REGISTRATION FORM.
ATTENTION! NEW OFFICE LOCATION
School of Polish Language and Culture
Institute of Polish Language and Culture for Foreigners
Jagiellonian University in Kraków
Romana Ingardena 3 Str., room no. 139
30-060 Kraków, Poland
Tel: +48 12 663 29 29
+48 12 421 36 92